Musical Director & Pianist
Laurence has musically directed and/or accompanied a number of operatic productions from the piano, including:
- Humperdick's Hansel & Gretel (Opera in the Meantime - MD)
- Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti (Stage Left Project)
- Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice (Grassroots Opera - MD)
- Mozart's Don Giovanni (Merry Opera Co. - MD)
- Puccini's Suor Angelica (Opera in the Meantime)
He is also currently musical director for:
a rock/pop vocal group based in Leamington Spa - get in touch using the form below if you are interested in taking part!
Laurence is MD and pianist for this new monthly series (currently online) exploring new ways of looking at oratorio, with Over the Pond Productions, headed by Lysanne Van Overbeek and Susanna MacRae. See links below for the monthly videos:
He has acted as répétiteur for the following productions:
- Marschner's Der Vampyr (Gothic Opera)
- Puccini's Gianni Schicchi (City Lit Opera Studio)
-Gounod's La Nonne Sanglante (Gothic Opera - rescheduled for 2021)
As the Gounod could not happen this year (2020), one of Gothic Opera's projects this year was recording the contemporary song cycle by Stacey Garrop, sung by soprano Alice Usher (see below).
He has also acted as accompanist and coach to a variety of singers and instrumentalists, for exams, recordings, competitions and performances. Below is a recording with soprano, Lucy Elston.
Laurence enjoys preparing solo repertoire, sometimes in order to create a library of video guides for students and to explore general repertoire (see teaching page). He is currently preparing a programme for a LRSM diploma.